Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fw: Bukit Aman scam

This just happened a few minutes ago. Somebody by the name of Inspector Chew King Hwa from Bukit Aman had called my husband's hand phone looking for me saying that I was implicated in some money laundering cases (I really wished that I had those money). He gave a contact number which was 03-2262 6222.
When I checked online, it is true that the number belongs to Bukit Aman HQ. So I called using my office phone to the number and I was told by the operator at the Bukit Aman HQ that there is a syndicate with inside people from Celcomand Telekom which is running these scams. They offer to settle your case outside and ask for money to bank into certain accounts. The operator said everyday the Bukit Aman HQ receives 40-50 calls from the public, people like me asking for verification. Bukit Aman said they will change their phone number soon because of this scam.
The clever thing about this group is that, when they call you on your hand phone, the number shown would be 03-2262 6222.
I guess if you call this number from hand phone, or directly pressing on the number received on your hand phone without re-keying in the numbers again through the keypad, you will reach the syndicate as they must have manipulated either the caller identity and created a fake line with the insiders' assistance from Celcom/ Maxis/Digi. But if you call the same number using land line (Telekom) as I did, only will you be able to reach the real Bukit Aman HQ.
So it looks like the con men are also getting smarter. But you can straightaway tell from the way the caller speaks, that he is not very educated and hence not likely to be of the caliber of an officer.
Hope you will tell your family and friends.

I think they target the Chinese.

No comments:

明星八卦